Terms and Conditions for Tuition
Northwood Music Academy: Miffy Hirsch (teacher)
1. FEES Invoiced when a place has been accepted and are payable in advance of the start of each term. Fees are based on the provision of approximately 33 lessons over an academic year but the number in each term may vary according to the length of the term. Payment are made by online transfer (details of how to make payment are on the the invoice).
2. MISSED LESSONS and credits. If I am available but the student is unable to attend a scheduled lesson no refund can be made. If I am absent, every effort will be made to make up the lesson at a future date but, if not made up a credit will be issued. Attendance records are kept for invoicing and record keeping and used as the source of information for any queries about accounts.
3. TERMINATING LESSONS. Lessons can only be stopped at the end of a term. To discontinue lessons or membership of a group activity, half a term’s written notice to Miffy Hirsch is required. This needs to be received by the Friday before half term for finishing at the end of that term. In the absence of this written notice, a further term’s fees will be payable.
4. ONLINE LESSONS. Parents are responsible for ensuring that students are available for the arranged online lesson as confirmed by email communication. Delays or interruptions encroaching into this time will be considered as time provided.
If no notice to discontinue lessons has been served as above and the student fails to attend an arranged online lesson as confirmed by email, fees for that lesson remain payable and no refund of any fees paid in advance will be given.
Extra lessons may be scheduled at any other time by mutual agreement and at a cost agreed between the Parents and myself.
I agree to comply with all applicable laws, statutes, regulations including in relation to confidentiality, privacy, GDPR and the protection of personal data.
6. INSTRUMENTS. I should be consulted when considering the purchase of an instrument regarding suitability. I recommend that you insure instruments at replacement value through a specialist music insurance company that will provide sufficient cover outside your home.
7. SPACE AND EQUIPMENT. Materials supplied electronically by me remain my Intellectual Property.
I am not liable for any technical faults, failures or damages of equipment used at the Parents/Student’s premises or elsewhere for the purposes of receiving online teaching, and will not be required to make up any lost teaching time caused by such faults, failures or damages. Moving equipment in order to enhance the quality of video/audio is done at the Parent’s/Student’s risk.
I am not required to make up lost time due to technical difficulties experienced at the Parent’s/Student’s home or other location used for the purposes of receiving online teaching, e.g. insufficient or unreliable broadband to support audio and video, poor sound quality, computer hardware and software problems, etc.
Parents and students should make reasonable efforts to ensure that their instruments are in tune and all equipment necessary for an online lesson is working and correctly positioned in advance of the lesson. Any adjustments to tuning of instruments or equipment during lesson time will be treated as part of the lesson, and the time spent tuning or making adjustment will not be required to be separately or additionally made up.
8. SAFEGUARDING. Lessons must not be recorded by either party unless there is a prior agreement for this. If recordings are made, they should not be shared with third parties or uploaded to social media.
The online teaching platform must not be used by the parties for any other purpose than teaching, e.g. sharing photos or general messaging.
Where possible the Parents should assist the Student in limiting their profile within the online teaching app, using settings and preferences to maximise privacy. The Teacher will commit to doing the same.
The Parent is actively encouraged to be present during the online lesson.
I agree to comply with the MU’s safeguarding advice in relation to online teaching.
I have a current DBS check, a copy of which can be provided on request.
9. FORCE MAJEURE. Neither party shall be liable to the other party for any breach by the other of any of the terms and conditions herein occasioned by pandemic (including the current Covid-19), any act of God, war, revolution, riot, civil disturbance, strike, lock-out, flood, fire or other cause not reasonably within the control of such party.
10. NOTES. It is important to note that, whilst I will do my very best to ensure the Student makes satisfactory progress, this cannot be guaranteed. Careful regular practice, as advised, is a prerequisite of success on any musical instrument or in any musical endeavour.